Kunstvilla im KunstKulturQuartier
Blumenstraße 17The Kunstvilla (Art Villa) opened in 2014 as a museum for regional art is a unique architectural monument of Historicism. The villa is a testimony to the formerly grand buildings constructed in the late 19th century in this district of “Marienvorstadt”, a superior residential area. Today, the house is a solitary vestige near the Wöhrder Wiese Park. It was built in 1895 as the sumptuous residence for the family of Jewish hop trader and banker, Emil Hopf (1860-1920), and its history reflects the many rifts of the 20th century and is a facet of Nuremberg city history.
Designed by Frankfurt architect, Heinrich Theodor Schmidt who specialised in villas and whose buildings included Lieser Castle on the Moselle River, the villa survived the bombings of World War II almost intact on the outside, but many changes of use resulted in changes in the interior and major damage to the structure of the building. In 1920, the villa was transformed into the office building for the Gesellschaft für Elektrometallurgie (Society for Electrometallurgy) which still exists to day and was then owned by Berlin entrepreneur couple, Margarete and Paul Grünfeld. As a property owned by Jews, it was seized, and after 1935, the municipal roads and rivers department was located in the premises. In the last years of the war, the villa was used as a so-called “Jews’ House”, where Jewish families were moved together prior to their deportation. In 1951, the villa was restored to Margarete Gründfeld who sold it to the Pressehaus Nürnberg (Nuremberg Press House). In the immediate post-war years, it sunk to the level of a brothel, and in the 1960s, the Hotel Blumenhof took over the building. The rooms were divided up, bathroom units were installed in the historic floors. Further destruction followed.
In 2006, publisher Bruno Schnell donated the villa to the City of Nuremberg, and the house was raised from its deep slumber. The conversion to an art museum, started in 2011, aimed at reconstructing the historic floor plan and restoring the valuable surfaces. The result was a jewel of a building, which since 2014 has housed art from and in Nuremberg, on its 600 square metres of exhibition space, and which because of its architectural quality is considered one of Nuremberg’s most attractive art venues.
Yard East 360 cm (width) x 800 cm (length) x 600 cm (height).
Yard West: 420 cm (width) x 1260 cm (length) x 300 cm (height to glass roof).
Power supply: sockets in both yards, extension possible
Proprietor: City of Nuremberg / KunstKulturQuartier