Die Blaue Nacht ®

Zurück

Art Competition

Menü Navigation

Germanisches Nationalmuseum

Kartäusergasse / Way of Human Rights

Carthusian Church

The 14th century Carthusian Church is the core of the Germanisches Nationalmuseum. The church is part of the compound of a Carthusian Monastery, dating back to a 1380 foundation. The laying of the first stone was celebrated in 1381 (the overall compound was only finished in 1459).  After 1525, due to the Reformation, the monastery was abandoned, and since then, the building has been in secular use. Since 1857, the building has been part of the Germanisches Nationalmuseum and has been used as an exhibition area. After major bomb damage during World War II, the Carthusian Church was reconstructed in the post-war years
It is a single-nave Gothic sandstone church building with a cross ribbed vault, currently showcasing late mediaeval works. Almost the entire mediaeval interior was lost.
In Germanisches Nationalmuseum, the Carthusian Church can be quickly reached from the entrance hall via the cloister.
 
Measurements: 320 square metres, about 40 metres long and 9 metres wide.
Power Supply: Schuko-type German standard electrical sockect, 16A, CEE 32A possible
Access during Blue Night: via museum entrance, Kartäusergasse / Way of Human Rights
Proprietor: Germanisches Nationalmuseum

Small Monastery Courtyard in the Germanisches Nationalmuseum

The small monastery courtyard is enclosed by buildings of the Germanisches Nationalmuseum on four sides. The long sides are formed by the ivy-clad walls of the monks’ quarters in the south, and opposite by the two-storey gallery building. At the narrower western side, there are a historical stone fountain (non-functional) and the rear wall of the museum’s entrance hall. Access to the courtyard is via the museum, along the cloister of the former Carthusian monastery and then through a large glass door at the courtyard’s eastern end. With its trees and modern works of art, this courtyard has an atmosphere of quiet seclusion in the midst of the city. (House) electrical supply can be extended to the courtyard.
 
There is no lighting, so any lighting would have to be installed, if necessary.
 
Measurements: 13 x 53 metres
Power Supply: Schuko-type German standard electrical sockect, 16A, CEE 32A possible
Access: via museum entrance, Kartäusergasse / Way of Human Rights
Proprietor: Germanisches Nationalmuseum

Back


Images of the Carthusian Church

Images of the Monastery Courtyard