The Blue Night – Nuremberg’s Long Night of Art and Culture
Saturday, May 6th 2017, 7 p.m. to May 7th, 4 a.m.
Dear visitors to Die Blaue Nacht,
Nuremberg Old Town – Topic: Odyssey
You will certainly not lose your way, experiencing an odyssey – the topic of the 2017 Blaue Nacht – on 6 May, for this programme brochure will guide you perfectly through Germany’s biggest and most varied long night of art and culture. After all, Homer’s epic “Odyssey” is also about searching, dreaming, seducing, longing, faithfulness, adventure, truth and truthfulness and finally – how could it be otherwise? – about love. You will probably not meet any one-eyed cyclops, as Homer described them 2,800 years ago, but maybe you’ll make the acquaintance of the odd siren or two luring you to visit as many events as possible?
On 6 May, the 18th Blaue Nacht will again mark the start of Nuremberg’s cultural summer. But it really starts a day earlier – at least for all visitors with an early bird ticket – on Friday 5 May, the eve of Die Blaue Nacht proper. On this evening, we will present a preview of all 11 projects from the Blaue Nacht Art Competition – anything from lateral-thinking to contrary. On Saturday, 6 May, the entire package of Die Blaue Nacht will be shown. In addition to the competition projects, there will be the wonderful castle projection by Fürth artist Barbara Engelhard, the fascinating video mapping show of world artist, Philipp Geist on the main market square, and of course many surprises in the programmes offered by the cultural institutions involved.
All of them have joined us again, and we have a few newcomers, too: over 70 institutions with very different topic focuses will show what they’ve got, and will yet again prove that Nuremberg is indeed a cultural city.
My warm thanks go to all those who have contributed to the success of Die Blaue Nacht. Here, I must name our main sponsors, the N-ERGIE Aktiengesellschaft, Deutsche Bank and NÜRNBERGER Versicherung. Equally warm thanks go to all our other financial sponsors, to the staff of the cultural institutions involved, and, last but not least, to all the artists.
I wish you fascinating discoveries on your journey through Nuremberg’s unique art and culture scene!
Prof Dr Julia Lehner
City of Nuremberg Deputy Mayor in Charge of Cultural Affairs
You may purchase a Ticket for Die Blaue Nacht in advance until
1 May, 2017, midnight for
5 May, 2017, (without mailing)
- at the Kultur Information in KunstKulturQuartier, Königstraße 93 (Mon-Fri 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Sat 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
- at all other ticket sales points (until their closign time)
online with Print@home until midnight
Please note: on 6 May – due to system charges payable – there will be a different ticket price for print@home than for tickets purchased at the box office: 21.30 € (including VGN public transport ticket and system charges)
Please note: a print@home ticket will only become a combination ticket (i.e. including VGN public transport), if it is personalised. So please enter the user name for each ticket.
Advance sales until 5 May (see above):
- individual ticket 14.30 €
- 5-friends ticket 65 € (13 € per person)
- individual ticket for holders of Nürnberg-Pass or a Social Pass: 8.45 € (pass must be presented)
- individual ticket for print@home on 7 May: 20.55 €
- until 5 May (closing time) owners of a ZAC card (i.e. newspaper subscribers) can buy tickets at a discounted price at all business premises of the Nürnberger Nachrichten, the Nürnberger Zeitung and associated regional papers (individual ticket: 12 €, 5-friends ticket: 53.75 € (corresponds to 10.75 € / person, including advance sales charge, system charge and VGN public transport ticket).
All prices include advance booking and system fees as well as VGN public transport fee.
At the day / evening box offices on 6 May:
- 17 € (including VGN public transport)
- Print@home: 21.30 €
- While entrance is free for children up to 12 years, they will have to buy a VGN public transport ticket, if they want to use public transport.
- For one person accompanying a disabled person (ID marked with “B”), entrance is free.
The Ticket and the Bracelet for Die Blaue Nacht are valid
- for all programme items marked with the symbol .
- for journeys around the Old Town with (historic) buses from the “Mobile Zeit(en)” (Mobile Times) scheme.
- for a single journey with a vintage car (only in connection with a previous booking. You may book at Kultur Information, Königstraße 93, between 6 April and 5 May, 2017, at their opening times stated above.
... or entitle you to a reduction or free entrance:
- club stereo (Old Town South 11, Late Night 4), MACH1 (Late Night 2) and KulturKellerei (Late Night 6).
- entrance tickets (free) for the Ballet Soiree and the Special Concert in the Opera House (see also Old Town South 1)
Opening times of the Day / Evening Box Offices (ticket price 17 €):On Friday, 5 May, 2017:
Kiosk in front of Lorenzkirche: 8 p.m. to midnight
On Saturday, 6 May, 2017 (Die Blaue Nacht):
- Kultur Information im KunstKulturQuartier: Königstraße 93: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Kiosk in front of Lorenzkirche: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Kiosk corner Frauentorgraben / Lessingstraße: 4.30 p.m. to midnight
- Kiosk Richard-Wagner-Platz: 4.30 p.m. to midnight
- Planetarium, Am Plärrer 41: 5.30 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- VAG-Mobil at the main train station / stance E (bus shuttle in the “Mobile Times” scheme): 6 p.m. to midnight
- Kiosk on Kornmarkt: 6 p.m. to midnight
- Kiosk Peter-Vischer-Straße, entrance Katharinenruine: 6 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- Kiosk at Sebalduskirche: 6 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- Dunkelcafé, Hirsvolgelstr: 14, 7.p.m. to midnight
- Neues Museum, Klarissenplatz: 7 p.m. to midnight
- Museum Tucherschloss, Hirschelgasse: 9-11: 7 p.m. to midnight
- Germanisches Nationalmuseum, entrance Way of Human Rights: 7 p.m. to midnight
- Kunsthalle, Lorenzer Straße 32: 7 p.m. to midnight
- Pellerhaus, Egidienplatz 23: 7 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- Jazz Studio, Paniersplatz 27 / 29: 7 p.m. to 2 a.m.
Through Die Blaue Nacht with the original “Blinky”!
Your shining company during Die Blaue Nacht: our official “Blinky”. Again this year, apprentices from NÜRNBERGER Versicherung will be walking around with their vendors’ trays, selling flashing magnet pins, the “Blinkys”. Takings will go directly towards supporting the cultural diversity of the next Blaue Nacht. You can find sales booths at St Lawrence’s Church, on Sebalder Platz and in Spitalgasse. In addition, the apprentices will be walking around the city until late at night.
Times for Die Blaue Nacht
Core time: 7 p.m. to midnight; Late Night Meeting Points: round midnight to the early hours of the morning
Exceptions are marked in the programme. Some outdoor light installations and projections will only start after dark and will then continue until 1 a.m. The same applies to the projects of the Art Competition for Die Blaue Nacht (with the exception of Old Town South 2 and Old Town South 7).
We hope for your understanding, if due to large visitor numbers you have to wait, particularly at small venues or at the ascent to the towers.
Information Pillars – Finding your way through art and culture
With its prominently displayed information pillars, the LEONI AG provides landmarks for visitors during Die Blaue Nacht. The pillars will be placed next to the works of art participating in the Art Competition for Die Blaue Nacht and at important event locations, e.g. below the castle and at the starting points for vehicles taking part in the “Mobile Zeit(en)” scheme, and they will give interesting information about these events.
There will be plenty to eat and drink...
All caterers in the inner city will be ready for the visitors. In addition, high quality catering for Die Blaue Nacht will be on offer at the northern Lorenzer Platz, in Peter-Vischer-Straße (Katharinenruine), at Rathausplatz 2, and on Sebalder Platz.
Public Toilets (fee)
- Underground station Lorenzkirche (intermediate access level)
- New City Hall, Hauptmarkt 18 (across IHK Chamber of Industry and Commerce)
- Bahnhofsplatz 3 / underground pedestrian level
- Neutormauer 21 / Tiergärtnertor
"Die Blauen Nachrichten"
The publishing house Nürnberger Presse/Druckhaus Nürnberg GmbH & Co will issue a special supplement about Die Blaue Nacht, containing current and extensive programme information. This paper will be delivered to households with the dailies Nürnberger Nachrichten and Nürnberger Zeitung one week before Blaue Nacht. In addition, “Die Blauen Nachrichten” may be picked up at all advance ticket sale locations and will be distributed during Die Blaue Nacht.
“Oases of Silence”
Seven churches in Nuremberg’s Old Town will again provide areas of calm in the midst of the vibrant happenings of Die Blaue Nacht:
- Open Church St Klara’s, Königstraße 64, 8 p.m. to midnight (Old Town South 13)
- St Elizabeth’s, Jakobsplatz 7, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. (Old Town South 18)
- St James’, Jakobsplatz, 7.p.m. to midnight (Old town South 19)
- St Lawrence’s, Lorenzer Platz, 8 p.m. to midnight (Old Town East 1)
- St Egidien (St Giles’), Egidienplatz, 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. (Old Town East 20)
- St Sebaldus’: Sebalder Platz, 7 p.m. to midnight (Old Town North 9)
- Our Lady’s Church, Hauptmarkt, 7.30 p.m. to 1 a.m. (Old Town North 14)
Ascent of Towers
You may enjoy a view of Nuremberg’s Old Town from three towers (restricted number of participants, waiting times may occur):
- Tower of St Lawrence’s Church: 7 p.m. to 10.30 p.m. (last admission) (half-hourly guided tours, tickets at the entrance to the North Tower).
- Tower of St Sebaldus’ Church: 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. (last admission) (visits start every half hour, tickets in the church entrance area)
- Sinwell Tower: 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. (last admission).
Film and Photopraphs
Please note: all visitors to Die Blaue Nacht agree irrevocably that the organiser is entitled – without obligation to pay a fee – to have image and sound recordings of the events made for documentation and advertising purposes, and to duplicate, broadcast and use those recordings. These rights have no spatial or time limitations.
Icons and Symbols
WC available, unfortunately not all of them accessible
unfortunately no WC available
suitable for wheelchairs
unfortunately not suitable for wheelchairs
partially suitable for wheelchairs
New: The Young Night starting 5 p.m.!